RE: [RC] Soft tissue injury question - Kristen A Fisher

I also just read an article that says that some exercise is needed for a tendon/ligament to lay down healing fibers properly. If there was no load on the tissue, the healing would be scarring which could contribute to re-injury. By exercise they are talking hand walking for short periods of time to start.

Kristen

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sisu West Ranch
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2006 9:54 AM
To: Spottedracer@xxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Soft tissue injury question

",,,,The longer you rest the mare - the better..."

I'm not sure I agree with that.  We rehab'd two horses from bows 10 years ago.  The recommendation we followed was 2 wks stall rest then slow increases in exercise in a careful graded manner, with checks by ultrasound as required.  The start was just hand walking for a few minutes.  Every couple weeks the exercise increased a little bit.

The vet said that if we just rested, we would get a horse that was only fit to rest, the body needed graded exercise to encourage healing and rebuilding.