Re: [RC] Mane mite (northern fowl mite) - Lani M Olson

Well, I broached the possibility of bird mites to the latest vet I have looking at a mare who's been rubbing for over a year, based on what I read here. Sounded plausible to me. Now, for a short history, she was treated for a uterine infection and a bladder infection, after which I tried antifungal shampoos (in case of fungus), baby oil (in case of extreme dryness, as we've been in drought conditions for several years), withholding supplements and everything but pasture grass and hay (in case of allergies - same pasture and our home grown hay all her life) - you get the picture. This vet wanted to know how it had been proven that the horse had bird mites and was highly skeptical of liquid ivermectin killing the mites, pretty much chastised me for believing stuff off the 'Net, said he'd discuss it with some other people - "by that I mean other veterinarians", said he'd never heard of mites on horses and I felt pretty much like I'd been brushed off, even though he hasn't any idea what my horses are rubbing their manes and tails for. He mentioned skin biopsies and I said, yes, anything - but then he said he wouldn't do that until he had a good idea what he was looking for. He leans towards it being a "learned behavior". Now this is a highly respected vet associated with a top-ranking university. I'm so frustrated watching three horses that have rubbed half their tails off and a goodly amount from their manes (I hadn't really noticed on the manes because they're half Morgan and all have heavy manes). The last horse started four days after she arrived on my property six weeks ago - I don't see how a two-year-old with a perfect mane and tail suddenly "learned" the behavior of tail and mane rubbing. I hope to do some endurance with two of these horses, but at this point I don't know if this can spread from general contact as would be apparent with the new arrival, who shared a common fence with the other two for two weeks while they acclimated.
Lani

    From: Barb Peck <bpeck9191@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [RC]   Mane mite (Northern Fowl mite)

    Here's a pretty good site and descriptor.
    And something for your Vet should this turn out to
    be this mite.

    http://medent.usyd.edu.au/fact/birdmite.html

    If this mite Lived on humans we'd know a lot more about it of course.
    As I mentioned before- the ONLY thing that'll kill it is topical
    ivermectin - and since they hatch so often (eggs laid under the skin of the mane)
    if there are birds constantly introducing the mite, then you'll have to treat this
    every 7 days.

    Barb