RE: [RC] Degrees that AERC riders have... - Peery, Sandra

I don't think you necessarily have to go to a Liberal Arts college though to get such an education.  I personally attended a very large university (~26k undergrads) that has a goal of becoming one of the top ranked research universities.  Every student is required to take so many courses to fill core requirements in several different areas.  The areas range so that every student, regardless of major, have to take classes that do not pertain, even remotely, to his or her specific major.  There is also a huge variety of majors (over 80 to choose from) and minors available so that you can take classes in any area that you are interested in and interact with different students.  Most of the advisors encouraged students to obtain minors in areas that weren't related to their majors.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of Sisu West Ranch
Sent: Mon 2006-10-09 09:08
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] Degrees that AERC riders have...

"... have to have a liberal Arts background in order to be 'well-rounded'?? ..."

I don't think anyone was implying that one did.  Grandpa Fred quit formal school after the 10th grade because it was 1934.  He read widely all of his life and was definately "well rounded".

On the other hand, it is easier to get a broader education at a liberal arts college.  When I was going for my chemistry degree, I faced the usual problem for a male in the 60's.  If I did not graduate in 4 years I would get a tour of SE Asia from the US Gov.  To satisfy the college's requirements for course work and to satisfy the American Chemical Society's requirements for a "certified" degree I had to take 4 or 5 credits of overload every semester I was in school.   To make it clearer, I could have gotten a chemistry major, and a math minor with 16 credits per semester, but ended up with 21+ credits on my schedule to get the required chemistry and math to satisfy the ACS.

The other advantage of a Liberal Arts school, is the close exposure to folk majoring in lots of different areas, not just engineering and science.

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640