[RC] first 50 miler - Toni Jones

Hi Julienne,

I'm sorry if I just sent a blank email.

I, too, have been horribly discouraged at the 50's I've done. My horse did quite well... but what good is that if I feel like I'm half dead. There's no fun in that. All the advice on this topic is right on the money.... and I've heard it all before. But that didn't change anything.

So this past year I decided I was going to do 50's and see if I couldn't get the better of them. If I couldn't "get on top of them" mentally and physically I was going to give it up and just do LD only. That was my plan.

The first 50 I was my usual half dead self. The 2nd 50 was a tad better... and I tried not to act as exhausted as I felt back in camp that evening. The 3rd 50 actually went much better and while I was tired, I didn't have the death warmed over feeling. By the 4th 50, at almost summer end, I actually stayed up late the night of (and we completed with 15 minutes to spare) yacking with my friends. I was on top of the world because while I was moderately tired, I wasn't so exhausted. So take all the advice, enjoy the day, and it's ok to whine to yourself when you are alone on the trail. But only for a little while.

It's hard to find time to work out for those of us that have full time jobs (and then some) and families, and other commitments. I'm sure for those that do have time or can stay in good shape that 50's (or 100's) are a walk in the park... but that's just not how it is for me in my life. And being in reasonable shape (regardless of your weight) is the key to being able to finish these rides and not feel like you are going to die. I'm unable to ride this winter due to the usual above reasons... so I'll be 'starting over' from my standpoint this spring... at least the horse will be fine.

There was an article in EN a few months ago that really helped me. It was the mental part of the ride. Talk nice to your horse. Tell her what a great job she is doing and that you'll soon be back to camp for hay and treats. They do react to what you are feeling and pick up on your attitude.

Good luck!

Toni Jones
Central Oregon