Re: [RC] To Finish is to Win, But So Is to Win - Joe Long

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 17:02:28 -0800, "Dabney Finch" <dabneyesq@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I don't see those beliefs as opposed at all.  100s are like ultra-marathons.
Geez, anyone who completes one of those is an absolute "winner," in my
book--and I'm sure most of them (& most people they know) think of themselves
as such.  And then, there are a few who actually Top Ten, and then, the
"elite" (that was for Jerry) who actually win the damn things!  (Maybe it's
like I'd feel rich if I had a million dollars, but that's just chump change
for Trump?)  And, this is a good thing....at least I think so!

Abso-posi-lutely.

The AERC has always been a "big tent" where people with widely diverse talents,
resources, and goals share a common interest.  At nearly every ride you have
people out on the trail for a myriad of reasons, enjoying the day together.  Our
strength has been in our mutual respect for our personal goals and triumphs, and
commiseration when we fall short.  We share with distance runners this diversity
in the events.  The nature of our longer-distance events (both 100-mile one-day
rides and multidays) allows us to drink in the beauty and tranquility of this
planet even while racing against a clock or a competitor.  The cameraderie that
we share even in the "heat of battle" is wonderful.

Maybe we and the distance runners share this because so much of the competition,
even when racing for first place, is against the trail, the elements, the
unknown, fatigue, and our own mistakes, rather than just our competitors.

"To Finish is to Win" is a philosophy that helps bring us together, that reminds
us of our common challenge -- because no matter what your personal goal,
finishing with an unharmed horse is essential to  success.

Some people feel that there are groups trying to push others out of the "big
tent."  I have seen no evidence of that at all, and I don't know anyone trying
to do that.  To what purpose?  If we diminish any among us, we diminish us all.

--

Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxx