Re: [RC] National ID - Diane Trefethen

For decades the NRA has used fear to oppose reasonable gun legislation such as requiring gun manufacturers to install safety features.  They fear that such legislation will open the flood gates to our federal government passing more regulations with the power to restrict and eventually prohibit the possession of guns by private individuals.  It is this same fear that has been displayed here on Ridecamp, the fear that a reasonable action today will lead to unreasonable controls tomorrow.  As Joanne* and Truman** noted, it is our responsibility to make sure that our government doesn't unduly expand any program to the point that it infringes on our liberties.  As an aside, perhaps it is the obvious failure of the American people to exercise this responsibility with respect to imprisoned suspected terrorist leaning individuals that fuels this fear.***  After all, if we can't muster the courage to speak out against obscene abuses against our own citizenry, how could we possibly be expected to protest a little invasion of privacy like expanding the data-gathering capabilities of NAIS?  Nevertheless, reason dictates that we decide this question on the basis of its own merits and not on the fear of some future legislation or program which may never come to pass.

Here is a link to some info collected by AHC's Equine Species Working Group.  The information is straightforward and dispassionate.
http://www.horsecouncil.org/equine%20id%20website/AHC%20ESWG%20Microchip%20Paper%209.23.05.htm

*Joanne:  Like Joe, I share concerns about the abuses that can occur with any centralization of information like this---but like Truman, I believe that it is our role as citizens to compel our government to use it properly.

**Truman:  The key is a population that demands that our Government be accountable to the people.

***While having ties to foreign Islamic organizations might constitute probably cause for arresting  American citizens as suspected terrorists, the indefinite incarceration of these Americans, without a hearing or trial or possibility of parole, is a gross infringement on their constitutional rights that we sheep have accepted without protest.