[RC] sway bars - LAWRENCEC BENNASCONI

 If you are referring to the weight distribution bars, it depends on which hitch you have as whether or not you need them The typical class 3 hitch is rated for 5,000 weight carrying (use of a standard ball amount ) and up to 10,000 weight distributing. To tow over 5,000 lbs and not overload the hitch, not the truck, you must use the weight distribution bars. The sway bar is an accessory for the weight distributing hitch, but we usually only sold them if your trailer was a good bit longer than the tow vehicle. Regular cab short bed trucks are a good candidate for this system.  Without knowing the weight of your trailer, most bumper pull two horse steel trailers are 2,000-3,000 lbs, add 1,000 each for two horses and you are right at that 5,000 lb limit.  If you have an F250, regular cab long bed, or an extended cab of some sort, you should be fine without the sway control. You do need to look at your hitch and see if it's the typical class 3 hitch that most shops install, and which is standard with most oem towing packages until the last few years, and then the heavier hitches were optional. I would recommend upgrading the hitch to one of the class 4 hitches, which will tow 8,000 lbs without the use of the tension bars. You can only tow as much weight as the weakest link is rated for. All the truck in the world won't do you any good if the hitch is not the right type.  I am sure many folks will tell you to "go ahead, I've been towing for X # of years and haven't had any trouble" Yes, some folks go get away with it, but I wouldn't take any chances with my horses...