[RC] NAIS - a different perspective - Jackie Causgrove

"Since our horses, as well as other animals, are in frequent contact with each other, not only when they are alive but also because they are apart of each others food chain, it should be apparent that tracking not only disease but contamination is going to be critical from a consumer point of view in an increasingly overpopulated world."

Equines are not common human fooddstuff in the US (no grocery stores where I have ever lived carried horsemeat for human consumption and I've lived in some unusual places.  Currently I live in Alaska where they eat whale and beaver but no horses - and yes, there are horses in Ak.).  Equines are apart of food chain for dogs but since when in the US do we eat dogs!  Of course, there are horses shipped overseas for food but they are already regulations in place.  And compared to an industry like the cattle industry, the shipping of horses overseas is small.  So, why a huge and grossly expensive program for that!

Look, even llamas are included in the NAIS program.  From what I have read, there is no source for llama for human consumption in the United States.

And it is NOT the last outbreak of madcow disease but THE outbreak of madcow disease.  Date 12/2003.  That dairy cow was from Canada and was a "downer" (ie nonamblutory) at the time of slaughter.  Due to the already existing regulations, testing was done at the time of slaughter.  Initial tests were inconclusive and then a Western Blot was positive.  That has been the outbreak of madcow disease.  (source, USDA and a search of mad cow disease on yahoo).  Obviously, the in place regulations worked!!!

Also please note that the NAIS is linked with homeland security (NAIS website) on the chance of bioterrorism.

Also please note that there are companies capable of making millions of dollars off of this program (NAIS public meeting notes).  One of them is the companies vying for the animal ID programs.

And if you read the Public meeting notes on the NAIS website, you'll find that the majority of the cattle and other livestock ranchers have concerns and deep reservations about this program.  Most of the concerns are regarding costs and privacy issues.  Regardless, the NAIS program  is, in general,  NOT supported by livestock ranchers.

Be careful of slippery slopes.

Jackie

Yahoo! Photos