Re: [RC] NAIS What it will means to you - Sue Singletary

Diane, you are correct about this. I think that if people are really concerned about it they should make a point to go to an county extension meeting about it. They are ongoing. This has only been talked about one time in Jasper, Texas. They are just starting here about it. They are thinking 2010. Right now everyone can register their places for free. Later it will cost. Sue
----- Original Message ----- From: "Diane Trefethen" <tref@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <>
Sent: Monday, January 23, 2006 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [RC] NAIS What it will means to you

Dot Wiggins has had some first-hand experience with this (the seminar she attended) and just about everyone else is writing from the expertise level of Chicken Little. When you read a "scary" statement, don't just repeat it in another post, as if it were God's truth. Ask the person to back up the statement with FACTS. You know, those things we USUALLY try to base our decisions on.

This proposal is so wide-sweeping and so new that it is no way in its final form. Even so, if you want to get upset about one of its provisions, fine, but quote the provision from the documents establishing the proposal, not someone whose uncle is an ag inspector who heard from his boss that "the feds" are gonna impose this big new plan so nobody will be able to walk his horse across the road to its pasture without a revenuer scanning it. Geez...

Oh, Endurance related. Well, you have to cross a state highway on the Fireworks ride and they usually have volunteers out there with radios who stop traffic for the horses. Guess the Santa Cruz County Horsemen will have to inform the feds so they can position a scanner out there to check each horse as it leaves and returns. Or, hmmm, maybe I need to call the FBI each time I go out on a conditioning ride because my private land is surrounded by a National Forest. They can helicopter a scanner in - only take about 20 minutes or so from Fresno.

So will the writers who made the statements below please cite the document, section and code that supports their contentions? If you can't, then you are just spreading gossip... rumors.

But, this is the problem… every time a horse leaves its premises, it would have to be scanned when it arrives, even in-state, no matter where. Even if it’s a kids’ gymkhana, 1 mile away.

However, one does not have to get their vehicles’ VIN scanned every single time they go to the grocery store, or wherever.

What this NAIS means (& I got this info from a board member of my state Horseman's Assn),

WOW! And THERE's a real expert!

> it that every single little gymkhana, big & little
endurance rides, NATRC, rodeos, horse shows, Friday night Team pennings, group horseback riding lessons, etc will have to scan each & every horse that comes on the property each & every time.

This also means every time you sell a horse (ie: not big commercial horse sellers, but a backyard person that sells 1 horse), you are going to have to find someone with a scanner to get that horse off your property too.