RE: [RC] NAIS What it will means to you - Gloria Adams

No, you do not have to check/prove the Coggins of horses that come to a kids gymkhana at this time, (or any other event in the state, as long as your horse is an in-state resident). Do not know what your state requires, but we do not have to do this here in AZ (unless you are out of state) or in Illinois either, I’ve heard, at this point.

I am wondering though, how many people do you know, come from out of state to go in an Arizona $5/class kids gymkhana? I do not think very many, unless one has a lot of time on their hands. But, this is the problem… every time a horse leaves its premises, it would have to be scanned when it arrives, even in-state, no matter where. Even if it’s a kids’ gymkhana, 1 mile away.

I think the idea of microchip is a good one for finding lost/stolen animals.  My dogs are microchipped too. However, as another person pointed out, vehicles have “VINs”, too. However, one does not have to get their vehicles’ VIN scanned every single time they go to the grocery store, or wherever. Doing that every time to a vehicle, or a horse, is ridiculous.

From: Ridecamp

Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 7:35 PM
To: Gloria Adams
Subject: Re: [RC] NAIS What it will means to you

   You have to check the coggins of every horse that comes to these events anyway, how much harder would it be to run a scanner over them as well?  It takes maybe 5 seconds to check one in a chipped dog or cat, and if you are really varifying the coggins paper, not just checking for a yellow sheet of paper, than you can take the extra few seconds to make sure the chip is right.  Maybe this would help cut down on theft, and on those "misplaced" horses during disasters...

My dog is microchipped, and I would have no problem having my horse done.  He is already tattooed.

Just being Devil's advocate for a moment. ;)

Christa

 Maryanne Gabbani is right: "Rats are far more likely to carry many of the diseases that Carla listed and I don't see any rush to keep track of them. Sounds like someone got a bright idea that really isn't as far as I can see."

What this NAIS means (& I got this info from a board member of my state Horseman's Assn), it that every single little gymkhana, big & little endurance rides, NATRC, rodeos, horse shows, Friday night Team pennings, group horseback riding lessons, etc will have to scan each & every horse that comes on the property each & every time.

This will raise the cost of these events, especially for little community events (ie: kids gymkhanas that have $5 entry fees) that operate on a shoestring (what group can afford a scanner too?), & they will cease to exist for many.

This also means every time you sell a horse (ie: not big commercial horse sellers, but a backyard person that sells 1 horse), you are going to have to find someone with a scanner to get that horse off your property too.

I think this is a bad idea.

My two cents.