[RC] NAIS?? - Dot Wiggins

I was able to participate in an NAIS seminar last fall. It was set up by the ID State animal Health Board. There were not many there, but beef cattle, dairy cattle, sheep, swine, and elk ranchers, and myself as the lone horse person, were represented.
Because of short life spans ear tags were the preferred individual ID methods for most. Beef cows and milk cows are usually around more than 10 years so longer lasting IDs were desired, most already are marked in some way..
For the foreseeable future, animals that are already marked, such as State recorded brands, registration tattoos or freeze numbers will be acceptable. (This is a long way down the road.)
Present health certificates usually call for location./destination info, and most states already require some kind of travel permit, so not that different than now..
The 6 month health certificates that are good over several states have a requirement to be returned at the end of use with listing of when the horse went where. (Don't know anyone that actually returned one??)
And there was a vesicular stomatitis outbreak last fall, all long term health certificates were instantly invalidated.
The overall purpose of being able to track all animal movements is not so much danger to people, but outbreaks of food animal diseases. The first info I heard about this program was concerned with terrorists infecting food animals with fast spreading deseases.
There are quite a few things that are passed from animal to animal species, hoof and mouth, for one.
Was it piroplasmosis?? that kept our endurance horses returning from Spain in France for months a few years ago? I think one or two did not return to this counrty.
There is African Horse sickness, I'm sure there others that we never had or no longer have in this country. Be useful to know where exposure happened to contain it.

I got the impression this is a very complicated issue, with
many problems to be worked out, and will be a long time getting implemented, especially as it applies to horses.

Certainly something to keep an eye on, but not panic over yet.