Re: [RC] [RC] National Animal Identification Syste - Sisu West Ranch

Every year we have posts on Ridecamp about horses stolen. We are urged to lookout for them. We are urged to register our horses with a website by description etc.

Now if all our horses had chips, brands, freeze marks or whatever, it would be harder for the thieves to move the horses, harder for the thieves to sell them, and easier to return them to the owners. Same thing goes for horses lost during natural disasters.

Every state in the union requres registration papers on motor vehicles that list the owner and where he/she lives. Every motor vehicle has a vin plate and the vin number hidden in areas that supposedly only the police know. The proposal is just implimenting a similar thing for horses.

Yes, I know that thieves can change or remove any ID system yet devised, and that cars are stolen etc. They are also recovered. The Missoulian had an article about a Corvette that was returned to its owner last year when customs ran the vin number and found it stolen. It had gone missing 40 years ago!

Think how many cars would be stolen if they were identified as poorly as most horses in this country.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875