[RC] Olympic Oath - KimFue

Julie's post on the Olympic Oath reminded of a wonderful column that George Sheeahan wrote for Runner's World in 1978.  I keep a framed copy of this particular column titled "We Are All Seekers"  in my office because it epitomizes what competition should be and what a competitor should strive towards.  It doesn't matter if you are going for the win or just going to complete.  Although it was written by a runner for running, it is more then applicable for our sport of endurance riding.  Every time I enter a competition whether endurance or anything else I try to live up to the ideals in this article.

Last year I had witnessed some very poor sportmanship and attitudes at a couple rides.  Not just between riders but with how riders treated or spoke of their horses. A few months ago, I asked and received permission from Runners World to reprint the article for the endurance community. I thought it would be a real benefit for all of us but just couldn't figure out how to get a  25+ year old running article published in our endurance magazine and just let the idea go.  Because of the legnth I am going to just highlight  a couple paragraphs.  If you want to read the entire column e mail me privately.
From WE ARE ALL SEEKERS - Runners World 1978
"Now, I am in control of what I do.  In a race, my performance is my concern not yours.  I hope you run well because the better you do the better I will do.
     The race is a synergist society- a society in which everyone can be a winner.  When I live in such a society, if only for 5 miles, I learn that winning and losing is a process inside me.....
     Contest, you see, has a Latin root.  It means "testify with".  The other runners in a race are witnesses to what I do.  The corollary of that statement, however, is that I am under oath.  I am pledged to do my best.  In the final analysis, it is the oath that makes the difference.  It makes me resist the tendency to cheat on myself and the urge to slow down before the finish.  In the last stages of the race, when I wonder why I must hurt so badly, I remember that I have given my word of honor.  I must do my best.
     That is why there is so much support in the ranks.  We are all seekers, going towards a common goal.  We are not opponents but witnesses."