Re: [RC] [RC] QUARTER HORSE PEOPLE - HELP! - Peery, Sandra

I guess I would qualify as a die hard quarter horse person.

As far as the orignial question, I would say that it depends more on the individual horse and his or her conformation.  I personally love the conformation of foundation quarter horses.  However, a quarter that has more Tb influence "might" do better as far as the judges goes.  Foundation quarter horses tend to be smaller (14 hands or so) so I think you might get better scores if you had a larger horse due to judge bias.  I would also be careful because some Quarter horses tend to be a bit downhill, which makes it a bit harder for them to lift the forehand and use the hindquarters.

As far as breeding goes, I think you get really great horses when you cross a foundation quarter with a quarter that is more race bred.  That way you get brains and a bit more muscle from the foundation and you get a bit more size and speed from the race type lines.

As far as the current industry goes, I like that people want to cross the breed out with the Tbs, however I think that they need to stop allowing these horses full registration even if they earn enough points.  Half registries similar to the Arabian half registries would be more perferable in my opinion at this place and time.  The breed has a large enough base now that we don't need any new Tb influx.