Re: [RC] QUARTER HORSE PEOPLE - HELP! - Beth Leggieri

From one who knew nothing but Quarter Horses until a few years ago:

I've had Foundation QH, Appendix QH, and the "new" QH with Impressive lines (that can carry HYPP).  You cannot beat the old foundation lines.  They are tough, they've got good minds and great bone, and if you're lucky, nice big bucket feet that will hold up forever.  Our foundation bred mare died at 33 after having done everything from team roping to Pony Club jumping to working in harness to hauling around beginning riders.  And yes, she did Training Level dressage tests!

If you start looking at the old lines, you'll find some interesting blood in there.  Joe Hancock, a 100% foundation stallion, has Percheron in him -- you can see it in the bones and "big hips" the Hancock line is famous for among the ranch sales and roping stock--as well as their work ethic and tractability--so with a bit of creative stretch, we could call the Hancock line the Quarter Horse "warmbloods," and we know how those horses do in dressage!

And to make this endurance related, there are some really nice QH out there doing endurance!  Go QH!

Beth, Texas