Re: [RC] club foot vs hi/low syndrome, grazer toe - Truman Prevatt

I've been around a lot of breeds and it seems that Arabs are more prone to this problem than many other breeds. For example I've seen a lot of walking horses in my days and yet to see one with hi/lo. Same for the "old style Morgan" and the "old style" Saddlebred. Walking horse foals (and other breeds) have shorter necks when they are born and tend to "split" their front legs when they graze but they will do each it on each leg. After they grow they will graze in a comfortable where one leg may be forward or both evenly. I have a difficult time buying "grazing causes it."

Arabs seem to be prone to this problem. I have one with hi/lo which we keep under control because I have a good farrier. He doesn't graze with the same foot always forward. He will sometimes graze with his left forward, his right forward or both together. My vet has said he feels that horses that have hi/lo may actually have a sub-clinical contracted tendon and the one foot only forward grazing may be the of this condition - that is the one foot forward is a symptom of the true cause of the hi/lo not the cause.

Whatever it is - it can usually be dealt with with good farrier work, good training, maybe some good stretching exercises for the horse and those horses can have a long endurance career.

Truman

Opal Perry wrote:

Anytime he eats anything off the ground, he puts that leg back, never the other one. So he kind of makes the problem worse on his own. Some things that have happened because of this: 1: He is slabsidded... big time. Its getting better, but.. still there. 2: He kicks me off that diagonal all the time.. I'm lucky if I get 10 strides in, and its HARD to post him that side. 3: He doesn't like to use that lead.. so again, HARD to make him use that side. (I do work him in the indoor arena in surcingle & side reins more on that side than the other, and it is helping).

--

“You can't separate peace from freedom because no one can be at peace unless he has his freedom.” Malcolm X