Re: [RC] Club foot - Debbie Lyons

From: Beth Leggieri <trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   A stronger nudge to the ridecamp community:  club foot and endurance

I posted a message earlier today asking for feedback from riders who compete on club-footed horses regarding their management, conditioning, etc.

  Apparently there is large need for this kind of information as I've received many private replies from folks with my same question, wanting to know what I've learned.

  So -- those endurance riders who have conditioned and ridden club-footed horses can sure help out those who have thoughtful questions about their prospects who have mild club foot.  Please tell us about your experience--what you found that worked and what you learned. And many thanks to you in advance.

  Beth, Texas

If I'm remembering correctly RC Muffin had a club foot. He was a tremendous horse and I believe is in the AERC Hall of Fame. I was at the ROC one year when he came in first. All the way through the ride the vets had noticed his "funny" gait caused by his club foot. The final vet at the post ride check chose to say it was lameness, and he was pulled. It was absolutely heart breaking.

I had a club footed mare that I purchased as a yearling. I spent tons of money on shoeing and x-rays to lengthen the tendon. She was sound and the only trouble I had was that foot would not hold an easy boot.