Re: [RC] A stronger nudge to the ridecamp community: club footand endurance - Laney Humphrey

Hi Beth, you probably didn't mean to sound critical of RC members with information about competing on club footed horses, but your second post gives me that impression. In your first post, you ask for private replies and then 2 hours later post again asking for public input. Give us a chance to drink our morning coffee and get settled in front of our monitors, please!
I don't have a club footed horse now, but have had and I've also known quite a few who have done well in endurance. Club foot isn't necessarily a death sentence (said with a grin!!!) In the care of a good farrier who understands the mechanics of club foot, a horse should be able to do very well. I did have to work really hard with my club footed horse to help him move in a laterally balanced way. I did that by doing lots of lateral work and stretching to work both sides and I also changed diagonals frequently when I posted so that he couldn't favor his "good" (in his mind) side.
Hope this helps.
Laney

Beth Leggieri wrote:
I posted a message earlier today asking for feedback from riders who compete on club-footed horses regarding their management, conditioning, etc.
Apparently there is large need for this kind of information as I've received many private replies from folks with my same question, wanting to know what I've learned.
So -- those endurance riders who have conditioned and ridden club-footed horses can sure help out those who have thoughtful questions about their prospects who have mild club foot. Please tell us about your experience--what you found that worked and what you learned. And many thanks to you in advance. Beth, Texas