[RC] EquiPedic Pad Users - Richard Sacks

Wool felt and wool pads, if not properly maintained, will get hard due to the collection of salts and sweat from the horse. It is similar to the condition of your hair or a dogs coat after going into the ocean and not rinsing off.  We recommend curry combing your pad prior to placing on your horse with a rubber curry comb (we recommend the Oster Fine Tooth curry Comb). Rinsing your pad off with a hose with a gentle stream after a long hard ride (without the inserts in place) will also help to break up the salts. Do not remove the inserts when they are wet, they will tear. I have included our complete washing instructions below. We have found that baking soda does a better job on the inserts than vinegar. It removes any odor and doesn't cause any deterioration of the insert material. We have also heard that Pert shampoo does a better job restoring the nap of the felt than Woolite or EQ Solutions but we haven't tested it. I wouldn't recommend soaking overnight as that may cause the needling of the felt to loose its integrity. Felt is different than wool that is adhered to a canvas backing and over soaking it will cause the felt to fall apart.

Pad Cover

If pad is wet from sweat, allow pad and inserts to air dry before attempting removal of inserts.

Curry comb the bottom felt layer prior to washing. (We recommend Oster’s Rubber Curry Comb with fine teeth.)

Remove the ConforPedic™ impact reduction material inserts by curling into a "U" shape.

Drop the pad in your home washing machine.

Wash with cold water on knit/delicate gentle cycle for no more than 6-10 minutes. DO NOT PRESOAK. Hand wash if you do not have this cycle. Use a liquid detergent like EQ Solutions Soil Release or Woolite.

Air dry or tumble dry at lowest setting.

ConforPedic™ Inserts

Remove inserts from the pad.

Soak or rinse in plain water or a baking soda and water solution to remove odors.

Place inserts on a towel and press down to remove excess water. Do not twist or roll inserts when they are wet! Do not hang over a line to dry. Allow to air dry on towel.

Richard Sacks
rsacks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.equipedic.com