Re: [RC] Saddles that move forward/backward - Joe Long

Sisu West Ranch wrote:

It is interesting to me that in the mountains, without exception, period all pack stock (horse and mule) uses both a breast collar and either (or both) a breaching or a crupper. When the load must stay in position, without fussing the solution is to make sure the saddle does not move.

After seeing a really bad wreck on the steep horse trail in Minnesota*, I started using them. My saddles do fit my horses. The cruppers do not dig into the tail. The saddle just stays in place better, particularly when the girth is looser than it should be.

Ed

I've used a breast collar since shortly after I started endurance, and in recent years I've been using a crupper as well. I no longer start endurance rides without both breast collar and crupper, no matter how flat the trail, and no matter how well the saddle fits or how well it stays in place without them.

To me, it is a safety issue, much like wearing a helmet. My head stays in placed without a helmet, too. Like a helmet, a breast collar and crupper may be unnecessary 99% of the time, but you're sure glad you have it that other 1%.

That said, I don't fault anyone who chooses to not use a crupper or breast collar. We make our own choices. I would prefer, though, that people not assume that if a saddle has a crupper it doesn't fit right.

-- Joe Long jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx