Re: [RC] Saddles that move forward/backward - Truman Prevatt

Angie,

On both my horses - once I got the right saddle - they don't move more than 1/4 inch going up hill or down hill. The saddle should mold to the back all along where it makes contact (and it should make contact the length of the tree).

I've gone up and come down a lot of steep climbs at the BSF (and Pigeon Mt. also) without either breast collar or crupper and the saddle is right where it is suppose to be.

It's like hiking boots. If your hiking boot fits correctly you should be able to walk down a steep hill without your toe ramming the front of the boot or the ball of your foot getting squeezed and walk up a steep hill without rubbing a blister on your heel.

I actually think where a lot of saddles don't fit as well as they should is where the back starts to flatten out (side to side) a few inches behind where the wither ties into the back. Some are too wide and are sloppy and most likely allow the saddle to slide forward. Some are too narrow and the saddle is a little perched up and throws the saddle a little back coming up hills or forward going down.

If your saddle and crupper work for you - that cool. I just would prefer not to have to use extra tack. Sometimes I do miss having places to tie junk and a breast collar is great for that. However, I sure don't miss having to fool with a breast collar when we have to pull tack at every check.

Truman

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I have never owned a

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil