Re: [RC] Saddles that move forward/backward - Truman Prevatt

I am a minimalist when it comes to tack. The less the better. There are a lot of reasons a saddle would move back or forward. If the tree is too long the loins will push the saddle forward - creating a sore loin. A crupper is not the solution to that - a shorter tree saddle is. If the tree does not fit properly at the shoulder - the shoulder will push the saddle back. A breast collar is not the answer a saddle that fits properly is.

In both the horses I've spent my last 15 years riding once I found the correct saddle, I never used a breast collar and I have never owned a crupper. Up hill down hill the saddle stays put. Of course there are some horses under some circumstances where a breast collar and possibly a crupper would help but IMO if you have to use one or both for everyday riding to keep the saddle in place- then you probably have a more fundamental problem with the fit of the saddle.

Truman

Kristi Schaaf wrote:
it. I do disagree about relying on the crupper to hold
the saddle back, at least in my horse's case. The
sliding forward problem was bad enough that the
crupper put constant and significant (unacceptable to
me) pressure on his tail at a trot or canter. I still
ride with a crupper in the Specialized Saddle, but am
happy that it very very rarely has to come into play.
I don't believe that the Specialized Saddle is staying
in place because it's running into his shoulders,
because the way that it's built accomodates shoulder
movement. I have a light therapy unit with a scanner,
and when I scanned him after several days of mountain
riding, there was no indication of any soreness in the
area around the scapula. Also, he's a horse who will
tell me if a saddle hurts him by getting upset when I
put it on him, and in the half dozen rides I have on
the Specialized, he hasn't said a word. : - ) As most
of you reading this know, saddle fit is a combination
of science and art, and if anyone ever figures out how
to make a saddle that works for EVERY horse, they'll
go down in history.

Kristi iluvdez at yahoo dot com

Life's a journey, so enjoy the ride (and try not to fall off)

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil