[RC] Rescue horse to other venues. - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

I was working with AHRN rescue for a number of years.  Rosanne and everyone that worked with her, did a fantastic job in placing some of the Arabian industries most horrificly abused, neglected, and cast off horses I have ever seen in the world.  I honestly believe a breeder should spend a year in rescue before breeding one single horse!  It was an eye opener to me.  Many of those horses have gone on to careers in endurance, showing, 4H, and pleasure trail horses.  Many were too old to do anything with except to be pasture ornaments for some wonderful caregivers.  The fact of the matter is Roseanne filled a need and filled it well.  When she closed AHRN it left a huge gapping hole in Arabian rescue.

Are rescue workers compassionate?  You bet!  Do they sometimes get carried away and over the top?  You bet!  Unless you are on the firing line please don't cast doubt and dispersions on any organization that is out there to follow the basic guideline that was set up by the forefathers of the Arabian Horse Registry, "to preserve and protect!"

The mare that I am conditioning for endurance was abandoned by her owner!  Left at my boarding facility without one care as to what was going to happen to her.  Instead of sending her down the road like so many boarding facilities are forced to do in those circumstances ( you can't keep all the unpaid boarded horses) I choose to keep her.  This mare, by the way, is from a TOP breeding facility.  Not their fault either.  Their client abandoned EIGHT other horses, in foal, with them!  They have sold and placed all of those foals with endurance homes.  Those horses, from what I was able to gather, have gone on to great endurance careers.

At my boarding facility were a few endurance riders.  I studied them and watched them over 5 years.  I was thrilled, amazed, and genuinely impressed the training, dedication, and fun that they were having.  Were as I was having NO fun!  So, I decided it was time to move north where I could be close to having FUN with my horses instead of worrying about every body else's horses.  I don't know how far the mare and I are going to get.  I know she has it in her to be the best she can be.  Therefore, we are going to give it our best try!

Which is why I joined Ride Camp.  To keep gleaning information on endurance riding.  Which, by the way, has been insightful, inspiring, and most of all scary!

D'Arcy Lynne

"A friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.  One that holds your heart in their hands as if it were glass!"