RE: [RC] slaughter Sorry it's so long - Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

Cut and Wrap on a steer is usually 55% and 50% on a heifer.  The feed at the end will go mostly to fat.  When we raised emus, we wanted to fatten them up for the FAT but I’m just not so sure we need so much on our beef.

Ideal protein in ones diet can vary considerably depending on circumstances…for instance, I’m diabetic and do much better with more protein and less carbs…but one thing in the US we’ve forgotten is how healthy one can be when shopping the outside of the grocery store…ie meat, veggies, fruits, etc.  Of course, it’s hard sometimes to shop there for endurance rides and much easier to go for the canned stuff.  Sometimes rides make me tired just because I eat crappy, from a can.  We’re still tent campers and I’m not a great one for cooking while camping…sigh.  I have high hopes for eating better when we get that LQ in the next year or two.

Jannelle Wilde & Adam Falk

584 Romie Howard Rd.

Yoncalla OR 97499

541-849-2460

866-241-1531 (toll-free)

www.mfarm.org & www.wildeivey.com

.  And keep in mind that not all of that weight is beef--can't remember the average hanging carcass weight ratio to live weight (and some of that is bones) but less than half of that gain is actual beef.

I think I listed smaller cuts as being one of the benefits, actually--we don't NEED to eat a 22-ounce Porterhouse.  Ideal amount in the diet is more on the order of about 5-6 oz per day of LEAN red meat.