RE: [RC] slaughter Sorry it's so long - heidi

I should have accurate figures for the gain in feedlots, but as an educated estimate, about 120-180 lbs, in 60 days on feed.  It is by far the most expensive weight to put on them, both in terms of feed and in terms of labor.  And keep in mind that not all of that weight is beef--can't remember the average hanging carcass weight ratio to live weight (and some of that is bones) but less than half of that gain is actual beef.  Additionally, more of the grass-fed carcass is actual MEAT since it contains less fat.

I think I listed smaller cuts as being one of the benefits, actually--we don't NEED to eat a 22-ounce Porterhouse.  Ideal amount in the diet is more on the order of about 5-6 oz per day of LEAN red meat.

As for Brazil's advantage regarding ethanol, certainly that is a factor.  However, we could be doing a lot more with blends, or with technology incorporating starter motors that run on gasoline to get the vehicle going and then switching to ethanol once it is warmed up.  (I remember having a starter motor on an old tractor--it was gas, it got things turning, and then the diesel engine took over.)

Heidi

Question: How many pounds do they put on in the feedlots?  If we were to switch to grass fed beef, there would be a decrease in total pounds of beef; therefore, the average American would have to eat fewer pounds of beef.  The smaller supply would cause the price to rise.

(do not think I am advocating or not advocating a change to grass fed beef.  I am just pointing out a possible result of the "law of unintended consequences" or in otherwords everything effects everything else)

By the way, Brazil has a seldom mentioned advantage when it comes to 100% ethanol fueled cars: It is a tropical country.  I understand that it is extremely hard to start an ethanol fueled car in cold weather.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

(406) 642-9640

ranch(at)sisuwest(dot)us
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=