[RC] South Africa - Saldahna - steph teeter

Just a quick update tonight  - I have a moment on internet at the Roadlodge Inn (outside the Capetown airport).

Saldanha was fantastic- beautiful!!!! Absolutely gorgeous trail along a spit of land at Saldahna bay. Jutting rocky outcrops along the wild coastline ('danger bay') catching waves off the ocean, shooting white spray dozens of feet into the air. acres of bright yellow flowers, with granite type rocks and hills, and on the third loop we saw several Southern Right Whales frolicking in the shallows. dolphins and gulls and the smell of kelp on the beach. wonderful! I rode a mare belonging to Anida and Maurices de Swardt - strong honest mare with a huge trot and plenty of ability, she was pulling until the very end. I rode with their son Rojan - on his big half saddlebred gelding - a special bond between the two, it was a pleasure to spend the day with them.

Great folks here - a pretty rowdy bunch - they do know how to have fun. I'm about out of minutes, will send pictures tomorrow (headed into Capetown to find a Wifi hotspot for fast email.

later-

Steph