[RC] Foresthill/ Michigan Bluff area fire - long description - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

I'm about 12 miles south-east of the area, but have a good
view over the top of the ridges of the smoke - esp. as it's
blowing away from me right now. I was just outside watching
a fire-bomber dropping retardant with the binoculars.

We watched this fire start late on Tuesday and hoped that
it would be a quick one, but alas not.

Jonni:
> Can someone who lives in that area tell us where the fire is
> in terms and description that is easier to understand,
> and which way it is heading?

The confusing part of describing the area is that the
Middle Fork of the American River splits into three
large rivers just downriver (west) of the fire.

It splits into:

* the *North Fork* of the Middle Fork of the American River;
* the *Middle Fork* of the American River;
* and the Rubicon River.

The area currently burning is mostly Mosquito Ridge, which
is between the *North Fork* of the Middle Fork of the
American River and the *Middle Fork* of the American River.

If you were travelling on WST from Deadwood to Michigan Bluff
and were still on the Deadwood side of the canyon, when you
look south towards the outlet of El Dorado Canyon, Mosquito
Ridge is what you're looking at.

Once you start up and around the hill towards Michigan Bluff,
Mosquito Ridge is on your left, across the canyon.

The creek in El Dorado Canyon dumps out into the North Fork
of the Middle Fork of the American river - this river is the
current northerly edge of the fire line.

If the fire jumps the North Fork of the Middle Fork, then
it will burn into El Dorado Canyon and upslope to Michigan
Bluff (including the Baker Ranch area, which seems to be
what they are most concerned about) and to Deadwood and
will be hard to stop because the slopes are so ridiculously
steep.

To describe where Baker Ranch is - as you leave Michigan
Bluff on the WST, you are on a dirt road. That network of
dirt roads leads to the Baker Ranch area.

Right now, they seem to be holding it relatively well on
the *north* side, but it is has crossed the Middle Fork of
the American River to the *south* and is heading up and over
Ralston Ridge towards the Rubicon. If if crosses the Rubicon,
it will be on the Georgetown Divide (where I am) and threaten
the town of Volcanoville. This seems to be an area they are
having spotting problems with the fire cropping up from
wind-blown embers.

There is a light breeze (it may be worst in the canyons
because it's quite windy down in Sacramento at the moment
and it can funnel up the canyon), but the temps. are much
cooler than they were even first thing this morning - in
the low 80s now, where they were in the mid-high 90s for
the last few days. The cooler temps will help, but the
wind won't.

> I hope anyone who lives in that area is safe,
> and that their animals are also safe.

They were having a community briefing in Michigan Bluff
last night at Gary and Judy Hall's place (some of you may
know him from Tevis/WSTF, and Judy works in the AERC office).
It said in the Auburn Journal that Tonya Chandler who also
lives in MB had evacuated her 25 horses on Thursday evening.

I don't believe MB is directly threatened *at this moment*
(although, as you say, these fires can change in a heartbeat
and if it crosses the river, it'll go up that canyon *fast*),
but it is very, very smokey over there. The smoke is also
funneling down the canyon and making the whole of the WST
down to Auburn really smokey. Yesterday morning on the way
to work from Cool to Auburn, you could barely see the other
side of the canyon from the Cool side.

> Those wildfires can move SO fast,

This fire was 300 acres yesterday and is 2,200 acres as
of lunchtime today.

> Keeping everyone involved (firefighters too)
> in thoughts and prayers.

Gosh yes. The firefighters do such an amazing job in
a difficult situation. Fingers crossed that things will
work out and they'll be able to hold it.

Thinking pure thoughts.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California