RE: [RC] [RC] BLM horse management - was horse slaughter - Jennifer Adam

Even our own government known as the BLM does a crappy job of being a responsible entity for horse management!!

While I agree the BLM is not perfect, it is trying to do what it feels is the right thing. Keep in mind they have to balance the interests of tax payers, ranchers, farmers, conservationists, and horse enthusiasts. Not an easy feat! I think their Adopt-A-Horse Program is as well-run as it could be (not perfect, but good considering their limitations). They try to organize gathers as humanely and gently as possible (which is something the Fisheries and Wildlife Service has failed). And they are trying to handle the horses in a more constructive, positive way so people can be more successful with their horses. They have also started selective "birth control" measures in some herd areas and have gelded those studs who would not make good candidates for adoption but shouldn't continue breeding. If you have a better plan, contact them! They are looking for new board members and are always open to suggestions! :)

However, I do agree that the horse slaughter issue has come about because of a surplus of horses and a lack of capable owners. I think breeders are responsible - as are backyard horse owners who buy horses before calculating all the costs associated with long-term lifetime care for that animal.

Jen Adam
who has taken in 3 mustangs and plans on 2 more as soon as these are all started under saddle!!

Search from any web page with powerful protection. Get the FREE Windows Live Toolbar Today! http://get.live.com/toolbar/overview