Re: [RC] Eating Living Things - Chris Paus

I wonder what breeders we are talking about. A couple of months ago, this list was decrying the lack of Arabians bred for distance riding. The AHA admits that new reg numbers are not increasing, that the average owner registers 1 or 2 foals a year! I know myself, it's 1 or 2 foals a year and they find homes almost as soon as they are born.

chris

D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson <liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Very profound and sage advice Tom.  I also believe if more 'breeders' did more rescue or visited a horse slaughter processing plant, they would rethink the numbers they produce each year.

A number of years ago an equine rescue group did a hidden documentary on what a horse goes through from the time they are bought at auction, through the trucking to the slaughter house, bolting on the head, raised upside down, throat slit, while being skinned alive as they are dieing.  It was one of the most thought provoking films I have ever seen in my 56 years of life.  A segment of that film is on a rescue groups site on the web.  It's revolting.

I think the idea behind reform was not to completely end slaughter.  It was to rethink the procedures leading up to and during the process that was most important to address.  One of the primary concerns was humane treatment.  Getting the law passed that prevented haulers from double decking horses was paramount.   Now, if there was a way to euthanize the horse without the pain and suffering that they go through now, would be an all time revolution for the industry.

I can not even imagine having to look into a horses eye at the final minute of it's life as they are slipping in ramps of blood, hanging upside down still alive, while being skinned!   That is horrific!

D'Arcy Lynne

"A friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart and holds your heart in their hands as if it were glass!"

Chris Paus