Re: [RC] Old horse - impaction - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: Don Huston
Very sad, I have dealt with 4 of these no pooping situations. I would first get a belly tap to see if he has ruptured a gut and if so then put him down right away. Next would be an xray for stones.

*Don, you hit nail on head....a boarder had a colic that was treated with standard fluids and mineral oil and meds....horse "sort of" was eating and pooping a little.....initial vet refused to do rectal exam; horse seemed to rally....but went down again second week....next vet (same clinic)....said haul horse to Davis (over 2 hour drive)....but also didn't do rectal exam OR belly tap...well after the poor animal was hauled to Davis, they did initial belly tap (which indicated rupture) and then rectal, which confirmed it...said if local vet had done simple belly tap horse could have been euthanized and saved the trip.....
Karen