[RC] Fwd: First Ride Story....kinda long - andrea crisfi

--- Nasr69@xxxxxxx wrote:

From: Nasr69@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 21:23:49 EDT
Subject: Fwd: First Ride Story....kinda long
To: tazrus69@xxxxxxxxx

From: Nasr69@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 22:23:26 EDT
Subject: First Ride Story....kinda long
To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, after a few years I finally did my first LD
25!...But it was not
without some major problems!! So on with the
story....I decided that I wanted to
do the GERA ride and my mentor Maris Ramsey who may
have rather done a
cooler(temperture wise) ride but she went willingly!
The plan was to meet at my
house on Wed. and get up and leave around AM. Well,
neither of us could sleep so
we decided to go ahead and head out at 9PM and stop
and sleep when we got
tired.  As we were driving we noticed that all the
trucks would flash there lights
as  they went by. Little did we know that we had NO
lights!! Guess that's
why! Well,  we stopped but there was nothing we
could do at midnight on the
interstate so we  forged on. That was problem number
ONE! (yes there's more to
come).We stop to  rest at about 4AM and we were
close to the ride camp by then. We
got up  about 8 Am and got to camp by 11Am. We found
a great spot to park and
set  up. Well, I set up Spooks (my newbie
horse)pen,put him in with hay and
he's now  a happy camper! We set up the pen for
Maris's horse and for some
reason the  battery is dead...not good. So we use
another charger but it is really
weak. She  puts her horse in thinking he is next to
Spook so he should be ok.
NOT! he walks  thought the tape and takes off down
the road! Problem number
2! Maris takes off  after him and I go grab Spook
and tie him to the trailer so
we didn't have two  horses loose. As I was running
down the road after
Maris's horse I looked  over to the side of the road
and there was a HUGE drop
off... I just know we  would find him over the edge
and mortally wounded!
Fortunately there were  other people who seen him so
they all helped get him back
without injury. THANK  YOU to all that helped!
OK so now he is on the Hi-Tie and we finish setting
up. Well, Maris has a
huge camper which is like a mini Hilton on wheels.
It has ruined me as far  as
any kind on primitive camping! Problem 3. Maris
try's to get the generator to
start...nothing...change batteries...nothing! Well,
she finds the wiring
harness  has shorted out and melted. So she rewires
it .(She's very handy) But
still  nothing works. She checks the fuses well they
are burned out...easy
fix...just  change them. Still nothing! She then
checks the brand new generator fuse
well  it's burned out so she changes it. FINALLY its
works.
We have power, the horse is safely on the Hi-Tie, we
vet in fine, all is
well.
The RIDE!! it was GREAT and in light of all the
other things that happened
it was uneventfull.The first loop seemed to go on
forever. We came into camp,
went and untacked the horses, sponged them, then
went to vet in. Both had no
problems and got great scores. The second loop I was
calmed down enough to
enjoy  the ride. Spook was doing great. He went into
all the water crossings and
was  drinking better then he did on the first loop.
The trails, other the
being rocky  were great! I am from Florida and we
don't have those kind of
inclines. I loved  it! Up and down over and through
water! As we were getting to the
end of the  loop I could tell Spook was getting
tired so we slowed down a bit.
 As we  did in the first loop we went to our camp
and pulled the tack and
sponged them  then went to vet in. Again both horses
got great scores.
Spook and I were tried pups by the afternoon. But it
was a good  tired.
So the plan was to leave early because we didn't
have any lights...you
gusset it ... Problem 3.
As we were headed back to the highway we had to stop
at a stop sign. Well,
as we pulled away from the stop we hear a loud
CLUNK...and ya just know that's
not good! The truck will not shift gears. At this
point I want to say "what
else  can happen" but I know better then to
challenge worse! We limp into a
shopping  plaza where we try and figure out what to
do next. Well, the only thing
we can  do is get a tow truck. However when I called
my non-horsey Husband to
tell  him what happened he without hesitation
offered to come and get the
horses. He  is such a GREAT non-horsey husband! But
the horses had already been
on the hot  trailer for 4 hours and it was gonna
take him 9 hours to get up to
us. So when  the tow truck people got there the
informed us that we would have
to have two  tow trucks one for the horses and one
for the truck at twice the
price!!! Well,  we had no choice at that point. SO I
went with the horses and
Maris went with  her truck. Any idea how
uncomfortable it was to be in a
truck with some strange  guy for the 10 hours it
took us to get back to Florida?
How much can you talk  about?!! OH and because the
tow driver had to rig up
lights to the trailer I  couldn't get to the water
for the horses so when we
would stop I would buy  gallon jugs of water for
them.
Well, we made home and the horses were fine I
however aged about twenty
years! :)
I would like to to say Thank you too all the people
who help when the horse
got loose and to the Ride Mangers and Vets for
making a great ride!!
I would sincerely like to say THANK YOU to MARIS for
helping me the  last few
months and for getting though my first ride!!

Andra & Spook
Looking forward to the next ride!!

http://mail.yahoo.com