Re: [RC] TWH's jumping? - Milinda Ellis

Mary Ann,

Yes, TWHs can and DO jump quite well!  I have a 20-year old 16.2hh mare (foundation bloodlines, I'm told -- only one 'big lick' horse in her pedigree and that was way back there).  She can stand flat-footed and jump my car (a Mercury Capri), literally!  She was jumping brush piles approximatly that size while out in the pasture -- for fun (one her own).  She would also come up the front porch steps, walk down to the high end of the porch (house is on a slope) and jump off the end.  Had to block her off the porch...  Decided to try her at foxhunting (which she liked) but I don't jump well and never had formal training to do so.  She's not as fast as those OTTBs in the hunt field but she's not as goofy as they are, either.

The aforementioned mare paced so I worked with her to trot (and she will) as I toyed with the thought of trying low-level eventing with her.  We still haven't done that yet.  Due to her age and since she's such a good Mama (she's produced two FANTASTIC Cleveland Bay Sporthorses for me), I'll probably try eventing with her pure TWH son instead.  The CBx offspring mature slowly and are just being started now so it'll be awhile before we decide what their jobs will be.  One is 17.2 and the other is 17.3.  Mama loves the endurance trail, too so they could have an aptitude for that -- I just may have to ride trail lying on their necks!!!  ;-P

Please tell your daughter that some TWHs perform well in USDF dressage, also.  I know of a woman competing a TWH at Prix St. Georges and there is always at least one ranked really high in the USDF All-Breed results each year (well, since I started checking those results about 5 years ago).  I'd love to read the Judge's comments on that PSG-level mare's tests!

Good luck!

Milinda Ellis
Beargrass Cleveland Bays
Jewett, Texas

Mary Ann Spencer <maryann.spencer@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Anyone know if they like to jump or?  My 'dressage' trained daughter says they 'don't' jump.  I have been told that my 5 month old colt jumped the horse trailer/bumper pull connection-not only once but twice and cleared it well.  It really impressed my friend who was trying to load both mamma and baby into the stock trailer.