Re: [RC] Back on Topic (was Show Ring ...) - Truman Prevatt

John,

I was not responding to your having team competition at your ride. I was responding to the blurb in the AERC-I column in the EN and the post of the young lady from the midwest.

There are a lot of team competitions around. The OD has had Team competitions for a long time. SEDRA has yearly team competitions that includes both endurance and CTR's. It's quite common. Team are fine. That, however, is not what the proposal in the AERC-I column in the EN was addressing.

Truman

John Teeter wrote:
> Truman wrote:
> ... I .,. assume ... 100 mile AERC rides ... also sanctioned FEI
> would be used for this concept. ... use of AERC rides for selection ...
> USEF specifies one or two rides for this process,... desire on
> the part of the USEF ... the AERC BOD ... strictly armature
> sport ... quasi-professional international endurance racing ... under
> the FEI/USEF. ... USEF programs .. have a negative impact on the
> AERC ...

I selectively quoted the above (go back to the original for the full thing).

No selection process; no chef d'equips; no AeRC recogition at the annual banquet; simply whoever wants to be on a team together at a particular ride - that's the team. Teams make the focus of the event shift. It's a strategy game not a speed game.

My point is that I don't think my suggestion has ANYTHING to do with AERC or USEF or FEI.
I disagree with Truman that the AERC (or the USEF) needs to be involved in this kind of thing. What they need to do is not prohibit or discourage innovation; rather encourage and promote it.

A selection process applies an exclusivity which is totally unnecessary (and counter productive) in the current situation (where there are declining long distance entries).

Rather limit each team to 4 members and encourage as many teams as possible! Involving AERC and USEF just makes it un-necessarily structured and complex IMO.

jt.
(ps. note that the PNER team concept is for ALL distances, including LD - no reason that 100s should have ALL the fun!!)

(pps. Truman's comment about AERC, AERC-I, and USEF needing to come to grips with their roles in life IS a particularly important topic IMO. AERC-I is only an advisory entity within the USEF endurance structure. AERC, while the designated disciplain organiation, also has no authority re: USEF National Endurance programs. All of the USEF endurance is driven by input from the USEF Endurance VP (Art Prietz); the USEF Endurance Technical Committee; the USEF High Performance Active Competitors Committee, and the USEF Vet Committee (I think). The USEF does not recognize "zones" (that's an AERC-I thing) which USEF has, in the past, for individual competitions, allowed to have meaning. The USEF Selection process is USEF driven - staffed at the discression of the USEF staff etc.

Correct me (on the AERC members list:) if I'm incorrect in this.)

--

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” Steven Weinberg – Nobel Laureate, Physics