Re: [RC] Back on Topic (was Show Ring ...) - John Teeter

> Truman wrote:
> ... I .,. assume ... 100 mile AERC rides ... also sanctioned FEI
> would be used for this concept. ...  use of AERC rides for selection ...
> USEF specifies one or two rides for this process,... desire on
> the part of the USEF ...  the AERC BOD ...  strictly armature
> sport ... quasi-professional international endurance racing ... under
> the  FEI/USEF. ...  USEF programs .. have a negative impact on the
> AERC ...

I selectively quoted the above (go back to the original for the full thing).

No selection process; no chef d'equips; no AeRC recogition at the annual banquet; simply whoever wants to be on a team together at a particular ride - that's the team. Teams make the focus of the event shift. It's a strategy game not a speed game.

My point is that I don't think my suggestion has ANYTHING to do with AERC or USEF or FEI.
I disagree with Truman that the AERC (or the USEF) needs to be involved in this kind of thing. What they need to do is not prohibit or discourage innovation; rather encourage and promote it.

A selection process applies an exclusivity which is totally unnecessary (and counter productive) in the current situation (where there are declining long distance entries).

Rather limit each team to 4 members and encourage as many teams as possible! Involving AERC and USEF just makes it un-necessarily structured and complex IMO.

jt.
(ps. note that the PNER team concept is for ALL distances, including LD - no reason that 100s should have ALL the fun!!)

(pps. Truman's comment about AERC, AERC-I, and USEF needing to come to grips with their roles in life IS a particularly important topic IMO. AERC-I is only an advisory entity within the USEF endurance structure. AERC, while the designated disciplain organiation, also has no authority re: USEF National Endurance programs. All of the USEF endurance is driven by input from the USEF Endurance VP (Art Prietz); the USEF Endurance Technical Committee; the USEF High Performance Active Competitors Committee, and the USEF Vet Committee (I think). The USEF does not recognize "zones" (that's an AERC-I thing) which USEF has, in the past, for individual competitions, allowed to have meaning. The USEF Selection process is USEF driven - staffed at the discression of the USEF staff etc.

Correct me (on the AERC members list:) if I'm incorrect in this.)