[RC] Compiegne - Sponsors Trophy - Steph Teeter

Compiegne - France - it's wonderful to be here. Today we went out on the
trail taking photos, watching the crewing, crossing the trail. I was here in
Compiegne at the 2000 WEC, riding for the USA, riding Nature's Khruschev -
the world's most wonderful horse - Orlov Trotter x Arabian  - big, brave,
strong - the black beast. I choked up a few times out there while taking
photos and watching - remembering so many things - and still feeling the
intensity, the red hot intensity of 'racing at the top' - being consumed by
the immediacy of making every moment, every move count. The support crew,
friends, family, team members, competitors, all there in the same immediacy
and focus. Wow- the emotions are really deep, it is surprising me - maybe
there wasn't time to let myself feel so deeply before. At any rate, it's
wonderful.

And I think Compiegne may be the 'venue of venues'. It is absolutely
perfect. Gorgeous grassy center, perfect trotting lanes, perfect tree-lined
crewing areas. A commentator keeping things lively, announcing status and
standings. (as well, everything is online and kept up to the moment). The
food is - well, this is France - red wine, escargot... great bread and
cheese. Grilled meats, salads. France.  Vendor booths, press center,
information center, time tent.. you name it.

They have a great timing system here - the horses are wearing a collar with
a chip in it - there is a sensor strung across the ground at the vetgate,
and the time is recorded as soon as the chip crosses the line. The collar
seems cumbersome, but apparently it is working for them.

I have some photos up at http://www.endurance.net/2006wec_yh/ - you can see
the collared horses in the second gallery.

I'll send this email off - need to run, will be back for more

Steph