Re: [RC] What constitutes a successful ride - Dawn Carrie - Barbara McCrary

We've had two horses in our family that have had metabolic problems though they had NOT been overridden, nor was it a hot day either time.  I agree that people should not be too quick to blame the rider in every instance.  It's not fair to do so.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 7:30 PM
Subject: [RC] What constitutes a successful ride - Dawn Carrie

This implies that if a horse needs to be treated at a ride, it is the rider's fault.  On some occasions, this may be correct.  But more often, it's a "shit happens" kind of thing.  I know.  I've watched friends go through this and I've been there myself.  I rode my mare at a very conservative pace on a 50 miler in August 2005.  We finished back of the pack and she vetted through the finish check "just fine".  5 minutes later, she was pawing the ground and acting REALLY uncomfortable.  I wouldn't wish what we ended up going through over the next couple of weeks on any horse/rider team.  I almost lost her.  After reviewing everything that I'd done before/during/after the ride, my vet felt that I had done nothing "wrong" (although when you add up all the details "after-the-fact", I've come up with a LOT of stuff I'll do differently in the future...).