Re: [RC] [RC] What constitutes a successful ride - Dawn Carrie - Dawn Carrie

Susie,
I was NOT implying that every treatment is the fault of the rider.  I said that I would not judge a ride a failure because a horse was over ridden and needed treatment.  I would like to believe that everyone realizes that there are myriad reasons why horses can end up needing treatment, and that rider error, whether due to lack of knowledge or overzealousness is just one.  But, I've seen some really poor judgement calls made by riders, many of them not newbies, in the 8 years I've been riding that have led to horses being treated.  I've also seen some newbies do things that they might not have done with better up front education and mentoring.  I've also seen *plenty* of the sh*t happens stuff.  Had it happen to my horse after successfully completing a ride.  He didn't end up on jugs, but could have.  Two years later, a massive colic at home sent him to surgery, and the surgeon found the weird muscular constriction in his small intestine that he said had been developing for at least 3 or more years, and causing the multiple minor colics the horse had been having.  He's been fine since surgery.  :)

No, I do NOT blame the rider for every treatment...and I'm sorry if my statement came across that way.  I was trying to get across that a RM can't do anything about some factors, and a rider's decision about how to ride their horse is one of them.  And as you pointed out, those sh*t happens things are something else we can't do anything about. Murphy does ride endurance...

Dawn