OT: Re: [RC] AOL - John Teeter

(This is REALLY off topic - so please delete it if you're not interested!!!! sorry....)
At 03:06 PM 8/23/2006, Karen Standefer wrote:
If John were to sign up as an AOL partner (and pay them lots of $$$$) then they would ?white list? the @endurance.net domain and we wouldn?t have these troubles.

not quite true - I have applied for white-list (it doesn't cost anything), but they have refused it. there is a history here. I'm running under a very old "CLASS C" set of internet IP addresses. Given to me by the old internet address authority b/f they changed the way that addresses are allocated. Now you have to get a block of IP addresses from your upstream provider (called a CIDR) - well all the upstream providers REALLY want to get rid of the old class Cs (and thus own the IPs as well as the pipes through which they flow). My particular class C has been with me since 1991 (I really blew it b/c I USED to have a class A with goldhill.com! but that aside), the class C (which addresses 255 machines) has been handed from GTE -> ATT -> XO -- none of them want it - they want to obsolete (recycle) the class C back into the pool and issue a new (vendor specific) CIDR to replace it. BUT, that means i'd be stuck with that vendor pretty much indefinitely -- so for a variety of reasons, the Class C isn't going to be recycled - this is all compounded by another twisted thread. but ....

all of the IP addresses in this class C had been fully registered and whitelisted in AOLs world for many years - then in late July, AOL wiped that registration and wanted to only white-list IPs from CIDRs allocated in the new stream manner. We bulk submitted the entire Class C for whitelisting again and it was rejected - not because of spam or abuse or anything - just rejected. The official reason is invalid reverse dna.... Now when I try to deal with AOL, I'm told bugger off -- you're not suitable for white listing (for a variety of reasons - depends on who I talk to - but each reason (so far) has been proven invalid and I've been invited to re-apply for white-listing -which gets rejected .... 3 times through that cycle and I've had enough. So two things are happening. I'm installing a new server (yes donations would be nice, but not expected or necessary:) - it was put in place today. It's on a CIDR base IP address hanging off an OC45 link to the net. Of course it's faster and bigger and ... but I'll not give in! I will keep the current machine active soas not to loose that old Class C! The movement of ridecamp to the new machine will be tricky (changing the technology base so all the config stuff is entirely different etc.)

So, it'll take me a few months to transition the whole of endurance.net over to the new box. There will be some new twists in your endurance information streams, but not too much disruption I hope. There are also improvements coming which you might enjoy.

My day job (keeping steph's horses ready to go and managing the upcoming Owyhee Canyonlands and traveling to review the ride site for next years first 100 miler in Japan!! will take some time away from these most enjoyable techie toils:) (But having steph out and about does free me from some of the other honeydo kinds of tasks which we all enjoy!)

again, sorry for the AOL disruption. We should likely take these discussions off list and get back to endurance!! How about those top 10 bloodlines anyway???!!!

jt.