Re: [RC] Arabian Bloodlines - Chris Paus

I agree, Heidi and Frank. It's sad when a horse who has the preservation blood stock and looks the preservation bloodstock has to be apologized for!

Last year, I sold a weanling colt to a friend. The colt is double digit WitezII. Sturdy, strong, good disposition, beautiful black color. But his face is rather plain. He's clearly an Arabian, but has the old style Polish face, with the straighter profile.

This friend had to defend her horse to a person who shows Class A and didn't believe this colt was a purebred. My friend produced the papers. to the "show" person. The horse wasn't typey to the critic because he didn't have a pronouced dishy face and he has rather sturdy legs, and her basis for comparison only comes from the show arena. Yet, his "type" is exactly what his forebears were like... strong, compact, good bone, strong hip and loin and straight, yet Arabian profile.

So  much has been lost in the quest for the "perfect" head and snakey neck that other Arabian owners don't even recognize the horse beyond the pretty face.

I keep a picture of WitezII as my screen saver so I'm reminded daily what I'm trying to achieve here.

And John, no my program doesn't have a long history because I got started at this late in the game. But in the next couple of years, four of these horses owned by different people will start their careers in distance riding, and another in sport horse activities. Another is destined for a dressage driving career, which certainly requires a high degree of athleticism and smarts. Then we can see if we've truly preserved more than just a name on a pedigree.

chris