Re: [RC] Arabian Bloodlines - DVeritas

In a message dated 8/18/2006 9:59:40 AM Mountain Standard Time, heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Unfortunately, the term has been picked up by people who only "preserve" names on paper.  If you haven't brought the traits along with the names, you haven't preserved a thing.

That's what I've seen.

Heidi, your statement "If you haven't brought the traits along with the name, you haven't preserved a thing," is telling for some programs who, once producing very usable, sometimes great, horses now perserve nothing but the name.

I've seen incredible endurance horses changed in an effort to pretty up a head...usually with the thought that "we'll get the "endurance, legs, correct angles, etc." back next generation", which, sometimes, doesn't happen, irrespective of whether it's carried in the DNA or not.

I believe every horse added to the genetical pool brings something to the genetic mix.  Prudence in exposing quality mares to pretty boys is not something, I believe, Americans do very well.

The Colonials in Australia have always interested me...I think, because of their geographic isolation, the Aussies programs reflect the hardiness and usability I've always liked about them.  However, in today's modern horse world, changes are just an equitainer away....from anywhere in the world.

Accessability to semen is the double-edged sword which can cause the Arabian Endurance horse to bleed profusely.

Using that sword wisely is the thing.  (Double entendre unintentional.)

Frank