[RC] Rider Drugs - Jenny Powers

How wonderful for Kat that she is able to compete in this sport without the use of pain medication. However, I find her position rather self-righteous with regard to the use of drugs by others. Some of us, perhaps the majority of endurance riders, need some assistance from pain medication or anti-inflammatory drugs in order to successfully complete a ride. Through judicious use of medication I, along with many others, am able to ride in relative comfort and therefore do not hinder my horse during the ride. I don’t feel that I should be denied the opportunity to participate in endurance rides because I have physical limitations that require pain medication. Additionally it seems a stretch to assume that anyone with physical limitations requiring pain medication would have any advantage over a more perfect physical specimen that does not need medication to function at peak performance. Comparing ibuprofen taken by endurance riders to performance enhancing steroids used by ball players is an unreasonable comparison.

“…if the outcome weren't affected, people wouldn't be doing it”

If by “outcome” Kat means the ability to complete a ride without being a detriment to one’s horse, then I agree with this statement. Taking pain medication is sometimes the difference in being able to ride for 50 miles or more and not being able to ride at all. But Kat’s implication is that the outcome of rides, winners or top ten, are decided by drugged, performance enhanced riders is extreme and in my opinion, unfair.

Jenny Powers

AERC 5852