RE: [RC] Arabian bloodlines - Tracey Lomax

Title: Message

Bob wrote:

>>No one, not even superior me, can function in a completely rational manner while under the influence of these pain killers! Your senses are dulled, i.e. PAIN KILLERS!! pain killers dull the senses hat is how they dull the aches and pains that some riders believe they suffer.

What utter poppycock.  I don’t use painkillers as a matter of course because their long-term effects are not great for a gastric system already riddled with Crohn’s disease, but I can assure you that doing anything in extreme pain is INFINETLY worse for your mental functioning than riding on pain killers.

I’ve evented on pain killers.  I think jumping probably requires far sharper reflexes as a matter of course than endurance riding (barring an out-of-the ordinary situation), and the only time on the course I had a problem was at the tenth fence when the pinched nerve in my shoulder kicked in again and I just didn’t have the physical strength to hold the horse into the tight turn and down the bank, so I had to circle and trot it.  The other fences, which I hit at more speed, were absolutely fine.  And in the showjumping phase, where the fences come at you a whole heap faster, we got a clear round.

There are those who would say that you just shouldn’t ride if injured, then.  To them I say : take up needlepoint.  We’re not talking morphine or mind-altering drugs, Bob, we’re talking NAIDS.

Tracey