[RC] WEC 2006 - August 15 Update - Steph Teeter

I'm in the Hotel Buschhausen now, where the USA group is staying. The hotel
managers (Roger Thomas and Petra Thelnessen) gave a Welcome USA Buffet
dinner tonight, for all the USA group - wonderful - plenty of champaigne
(with Cassis) and beer, great German food (beef with sauce, saeurkraut,
potatoes) very nice. Plus the US invited the entire New Zealand group over,
to reciprocate for an earlier invite from the Kiwis. Good time. Wonderful
managers and staff here at the hotel. I wanted to get the manager's names
and went up to the fellow (the one in the gallery pictures serving food and
champagne) and he said - just a minute, I'll be back in about 10 minutes, my
friend is a little tipsy and I think I ought to drive him home. Good folks I
think.

Last night I stayed at Leo's in Belgium, Leo and Shauib cooked curry and
Malaysia spiced salmon, good conversation, good food. This morning I
followed Leo into Aachen. The Belgian squad is moving the horses to Aachen
today - wanting to have everybody together from now to race day. They've
been riding the trails already (living so close) plus many of them have
ridden in this venue. They know the course very well. Today the riders were
to ride the final loop, and some of the crew followed them to meet them at
checkpoints - and figure out some of the driving details. I followed along,
taking photos when possible. The Belgian squad looks great - fit horses,
ready riders. This was my first full day in Aachen, first time to see the
trail. Very very technical, constant changes from forest to pavement to
field, crossing roads, through gates. It's going to be a different type of
course from Dubai!

I drove over to the WEG venue afterwards, to find it, and see if I could get
my press pass. I did find it, came in the back route, still haven't figured
out where the official entrance is... but press passes will be handed out
tomorrow so I'll go back over and see if I can figure out the traffic
pattern. Will try to find the out vet check also.  And a short trip to city
center to get some prescription glasses (I lost mine today... if I spell
poorly it's because I'm squinting to see this page :)

I'm also headed to the US barn tomorrow morning, they're having trot outs
and a meeting. Everybody is in good spirits, all the horses are sound and
healthy! Looking good -

I put up some photos galleries - of the Belgians, the USA dinner, and some
shots of the Venue - lots of work still going on.

http://www.endurance.net/2006wec/ - will link to the gallery page.

later-

Steph