Re: [RC] [RC] Another question...(rider drugs) - Jonni

There is no drug testing for riders! Better living through chemistry as I
believe someone here on RC once said. Many of us carry anti-inflammatories
with us during rides & dose regularly!Laney<<<<

And thank goodness for those anti-inflammatories!!!!  My knees would not
survive a ride with out them! Endurance riders are not the ones in the
competition like those who ride bikes in the Tour de France,run marathons,
or other athletic events. It is the horses who are competing against one an
other in endurance. Thus, drugs are not allowed for those human athletes who
are the actual competitors in such sports, just as horses are not allowed
drugs who are in equine competitions.

I have no problem with riders using legal or prescription drugs during
endurance rides. Let's face it, what edge could it give from one to another.
Many riders are in better physical condition than others. Some can get off
and run with their horses, while others are unable to do so.  But the
physical ability of one rider to another does not have any consideration for
placing when it comes to endurance riding or racing. The first horse across
the line is the first place winner, and all who cross the line get a
completion award. The human could have ran the whole way, ridden the whole
way, used pain killers during the ride, or used no drugs. As long as the
horse has not had any drugs administered,  it does not matter, and I don't
think it should.

Yep, better living through pharmaceuticals! If you don't need them, or don't
want to use them, then that is fine, but some of us have found that we can't
ride 50 or 100 miles without them.

Jonni in TX