RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] Equitation at Cougar Rock? - Catfish Daniels

Great point, Sherman. It goes back to my old jumping days where once you're lined up, you better commit. Hestitation or lack in confidence half way along the way could be disasterous. Two years ago my horse did lunge forward a split second before I was ready and I looked like an egg on my horse, hanging on for dear life. Needless to say I didn't purchase that picture, haha.

Catfish

From: "sherman" <sherman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   [RC] Equitation at Cougar Rock?
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 18:59:12 -0700

Sometimes the horse starts lunging up the rock before the rider is
ready, and the lunging itself can throw the rider off balance. You have
no choice but to allow your horse to go on and just do the best you can,
hesitation at this point is very dangerous and you risk your horse
turning and falling. Better to just hang on & get it over with whether
it looks pretty or not.(:>)

Kathy

Is it just me, looking at it *wrong,* or was there a lot of really poor
riding at Cougar Rock?  I've been looking at photos, (hughes
photography) and I'm astonished.

I know, I am a newbie, and I am certainly NOT saying I'd ride it better.
However, I'm surprised that so many riders are hindering their horses,
not helping them.  BTW, I'm *not* necessarily talking about the horses
that stumbled, fell, etc.  Some of those riders appeared to be helping
their horses tremendously, and they recovered their footing.

Guess I'm trying to say that I am more impressed with the horses than
some of the riders, because they were able to climb the hill despite the
problem on their backs.

Carla Richardson
Colorado