Re: [RC] [RC] Equitation at Cougar Rock? - Barbara McCrary

Not only that, but Cougar Rock is very steep, albeit for a fairly short distance.  I have yet to go up it without my mouth open and my heart in my throat.  I haven't been there in about 20 years, and may never do so again.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: sherman
Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2006 6:59 PM
Subject: [RC] [RC] Equitation at Cougar Rock?

Sometimes the horse starts lunging up the rock before the rider is ready, and the lunging itself can throw the rider off balance. You have no choice but to allow your horse to go on and just do the best you can, hesitation at this point is very dangerous and you risk your horse turning and falling. Better to just hang on & get it over with whether it looks pretty or not.(:>)

Kathy

Is it just me, looking at it *wrong,* or was there a lot of really poor riding at Cougar Rock?  I've been looking at photos, (hughes photography) and I'm astonished.

I know, I am a newbie, and I am certainly NOT saying I'd ride it better.  However, I'm surprised that so many riders are hindering their horses, not helping them.  BTW, I'm *not* necessarily talking about the horses that stumbled, fell, etc.  Some of those riders appeared to be helping their horses tremendously, and they recovered their footing.

Guess I'm trying to say that I am more impressed with the horses than some of the riders, because they were able to climb the hill despite the problem on their backs.

Carla Richardson

Colorado