RE: [RC] 100s discussion - sherman

So a horse that’s fit and doing 100s doesn’t lose that fitness over a 2 mo. period?  I’ve heard people worrying that their “fit for 50s” horse has been off for 2 or 3 weeks, and they think they’ve lost their conditioning and won’t be ready in another 2 or 3 weeks. You give me hope that I actually do have the time to get 2 horses ready.

So, how about for a horse that you’re trying to bring around to being ready for a 50? If you do a 25 or 30 one week to test their fitness level, would you think they’d need a week off after that, or would it boost their level of fitness to only wait 2 or 3 days to go out again? I hope ;you don’t mind me picking your brain here, but I have an 8 yr old that I’m just starting to do 10 mile rides on and want to get him ready for 50s.

Kathy

Jody wrote:

Ok, here is what I have done for years in terms of lay off time.

Keep in mind, that I am referring to conditioned horses, not horses that are "getting ready to do a 50".

I will give at least a week after a 50, sometimes more if I don't "need" to ride for some particular reason.  But at the same time, I don't have any problem with doing back to back rides.  We go to a good many rides each year, so once we start, we will have at least one a month.  In that case, I don't ride them at ALL in between rides.  They need that time to rest.  After a 100, I will give them anywhere from 1 week to a month.  Again, it just depends.  For instance....after the OD 100, which was on June 10th.  I just now, last week started riding those horses again.  So, they have had about 2 months off...total rest, just standing around eating grass and swishing flies.  Those same horses will go to a ride in one month.  But, these are fit, seasoned horses.  So, they hold their conditioning well, and bounce back well.

I have done a 100 one weekend, and then a 50 the very next...same horse.  No, Rose was not a happy camper about it.  But she did it and it didn't hurt her.  But she was going fast at either ride.  I have done a 100 one weekend, and two weeks later another 100 same horse.  I have even done a 100 one day, rest one day, and then a 50....again same horse.  She won both rides and BC'ed both rides.  It really depends on the horse.  She was super horse.