[RC] 100 Miles In One Day - Phil Gardner

From the first time I heard of the Tevis I knew that it was something I had to do.  It was a burning issue and I would not be content until I completed it.  That was 1963 and in 1965 I made my first attempt.  There is nothing like the feeling after the ride.  It is something that replays in your mind for months, even years, after. It is really not something you can explain, only experience.

Now there is this great debate of how to attract new people to one day hundreds.  My thought is that if when you first hear of it, you don’t feel compelled to do it, you probably shouldn’t.  Like any extreme sport it isn’t for snivelers and should probably be left that way.  I don’t think that one day hundreds are going to disappear, there is always someone looking for a new challenge.

Phil Gardner