Re: [RC] [RC] 100s discussion//defining endurance-marathons - Beverley H. Kane, MD

Cindy,

You bring up a good analogy with marathons. However I don't know anyone who
identifies h-self as a "marathoner."  The categories in runner's parlance
are mainly track (and within that discipline, the more anaerobic vs. aerobic
distances), cross country, 10Ks, and distance running (half-marathons,
marathons, ultramarathons). These divisions are based on each one's
qualitatively different requirements metabolically, biomechanically, and
strategically.

I'm not fond of the term LD, as I think "limited" is a pejorative label,
possibly deterring folks from doing anything so devalued, and thus avoiding
distance/endurance riding altogether. And as attested by the number of
takers for the 10-15 mile fun rides (e.g., East Bay Elevator Ride), even
25-35 miles is a *huge* quantitative -and- qualitative leap for some
people--like the leap from a 5-mile xc run (or 10K) to a half marathon. I
have suggested we change the designation to "Long Distance" and thus adopt
the psychological marketing techniques of producers of olives and Japanese
condoms, which are large, extra large, and jumbo.

Last month's Endurance News solicited suggestions for attracting new members
to AERC, whose growth rate is currently flat. I suggest that closing the
chasm between LD and endurance, at least semantically (how about "SE" for
"short endurance"), might make us attractive to more trail riders.

At the end of the day, "endurance" is whatever we AERC members choose to
define it as, with more or less thought to exclusivity vs. ease of entry to
our sport.

Beverley
#33689
1 marathon