[RC] USA News from Aachen - Dinah - Steph Teeter

-----Original Message-----
From: dinah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:dinah@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, August 07, 2006 3:10 PM
To: steph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Sunny Monday in Aachen

Monday:
First, congratulations to John Crandell III for his success on Haggins
Cup and FtF! We're all so pleased for you.
The riders went out for a short ride today after 4 hours yesterday.
There are many twists and turns on the unmarked trail, and the
bicyclist had a bit of trouble keeping up with the horses. Steve and
Finch enjoyed jumping the fences in the woods, and all the riders said
the footing was hard and were surprised by the number of hills.  Today
Steve went out with our stable neighbor on her Dressage horse, a huge
warmblood black stallion. The lady's name is Ulla, and she knows the
forest like the back of her hand and, after finding Meg, Jen and Kathy
going the wrong way, she returned everybody safely to the barn. We are
having decent weather, and a group of us spent part of the day in town
running errands and doing a little sightseeing at a church that was
built in 1000AD. It was simple, filled with light and color. The pews
are gone and replaced with ultramodern plastic chairs, quite a
contrast. The gardens are loaded with hollyhocks and the roofs are all
tiled in different colors, with slate chimneys. It is a busy and
charming town.
None of this would have happened without Christoph's help with German
and navigational skills. Diane kept us going with her infectious laugh
as we drove through pedestrian only sections of town, and the good Dr.
Timmons made sure we didn't get into too much trouble. While we are out
so are the horses, in their portable pens enjoying the grass, sunshine
and church bells.
Team member, Joe Mattingly, zipped in yesterday and back to work in the
states today. He's quite the jet setter! He has no worries with
Michelle and Grace caring for the horse.
Tomorrow is a rest day and we are off to explore North Rhine-Westfalia
and Lower Saxony!
Dinah